Floaters

Today, while lying comfortably on the beach, I noticed for the thousandth time those microscopic organisms moving in my eyes. When I observe them, I’m never quite sure what to think. They seem like invaders over which I have no power. I can look at them, yet at the same time, they feel light-years away. Every time I shift my gaze, I brainstorm ways to get rid of them, but I never find a solution. I was looking directly at the sky when they reappeared. In my experience, they become exceptionally noticeable when looking up at a clear blue sky or a white wall.


It turns out this is just one of those peculiar, yet completely normal, quirks of human biology. Officially known as eye floaters—or myodesopsia, from the Greek for "fly-like visual effects"—they are rarely noticeable when we are young. However, as we age, these microscopic fragments accumulate until we suddenly feel like we’re being colonized by tiny alien invaders. It’s easy to imagine someone noticing them for the first time and panicking, perhaps wanting to scream and run straight to a doctor. Or worse, someone under the influence might tragically try to pluck them out with their fingers or tweezers.



The interior of our eyes is filled with a gel-like substance called the Vitreous Humor. As we age, the collagen fibers within this gel begin to break down. When light enters our eyes, these tiny clumps, strands, or cell fragments cast shadows onto our retina; the floating debris we see is actually those shadows. Because they drift inside the gel when we move our eyes, they look like microscopic organisms swimming across our field of vision.


While they can be startling to discover when you aren't expecting them, floaters are almost entirely harmless. Regular check-ups with an optometrist or ophthalmologist are usually all it takes to monitor for any rare complications. Instead of worrying, we should just sit back and enjoy the show like it's a tiny movie playing in our heads. In an episode of Family Guy, Peter Griffin develops an eye floater that he names "Squiggly," treating it like a persistent little pet that follows his gaze. Perhaps that's what we should do, too.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The New NBA

Ibronka and the Demon

Last October in Vietnam